The German main battle tank Leopard 2
The Leopard 2 is a German main battle tank. It was developed in the 70s by Krauss-Maffei to replace the Leopard 1 tanks. It is put into service in 1979.
The Leopard 2 has classic occidental battle tank architecture with the pilot in the front, the powertrain in the rear and the turret in the center of the frame, with manual canon loading. The Leopard 2 was modernized several times. The model A6 was fitted with a L55 55 caliber canon, more powerful than its predecessor the L44. The Leopard 2 benefited from a huge success in exportation, it is the most common occidental tank.
Gun: 120 mm
Coaxial machine gun : 7.62 mm
Machine gun : 7.62 mm
Crew : 4
Powertrain : MTU MB 873 Ka501, 1500 hp
Speed : 72 km/h
Weight : 55 to 62.4 t
Dimensions L x W x H : 8.16 m (10.97 m with gun) x 3.74 m x 2.64 m